Engine Work Wauquiez Hood 38

Perkins 4108 diesel engines have been around forever. My knowledge of engines is limited to basic maintenance. I had the yard inspect and suggest any seen problems. Yard found a number of things which are better to take care of now. These type of repairs will last 20 or more years. If you should ever want to paint the engine use Ford Tractor Blue. the great loop Pitted Shaft
New Cutlass, Transmission pulled & rebuilt, one motor mount replaced and a leaking water pump. Since the shaft was out I had replaced the shaft log's rubber hose. Cutlass Bearing Transmission Out, Motor Mount Removed water pump drip
While motoring my engine instrument panel shorted out. There was that acidic smell & smoke, gauges and wiring harness were very warm to the touch. Inspection showed the ground wire had shorted against one of the gauge wires. I removed and replaced the burnt wires and I hope simplified the wiring mess. wiring diagram panel and burnt wires panel reinstalled
Steering - I Inspected and oiled the chain/wire in motor oil. One difference in this installation is that the "wires" cross within the pedestal which was different then my last boat. Not 100% who made this steering gear. I found no markings on the pedestal. Diagrams steering  

Perkins' 4.108 fuel leak - I found a drip coming off the throttle control. Both the throttle and kill mechanisms have "O" rings which become brittle with age and have to be replaced. Tools needed are 8mm & 1/4 wrenches for the bleed screws and bolts holding the governor. I did move a fuel line out of the way. Not much room to work in so it took hours. There are many fuel pump variations so its best to get the name/model/serial # off the pump.

The MK II's have a dead man's throttle which I do not like. Good news the throttle arm is adjustable in 360 degrees. Bad news my large capacity oil filter is in the way of the arm's movement.
Batteries - Currently I have three #27, 12 volt batteries. I like and have used 6 volt golf cart batteries in series. GC's take a deeper discharge and are the most cost efficient. With planning and a tape measure I should have 3-5 inches of room so I have access to the raw water pump's impeller. First replace the old cracked cockpit hoses 6 volt battery Impossible removing the male pipe fitting on the seacock. The seacock will turn instead. Good news is the thru hull fitting's is just above the waterline. I found Trident Marine has a sanitation hose at 1 7/8 inch which is a good fit. Lastly I moved the engine's wet exhaust up and to the side of the hull buy cutting away part of the stern thwart. hoses off
Pulled the batteries and cleaned the area. Placed a mocked up platform sized to new battery box, checked the fit. Its close... pulling batteries battery box  
Battery box cut in half and glassed to the proper length & width. Installed but its a tight fix epically near the water pump impeller.

Batteries installed, wired to charger. I cut out the forward cured lip for eaiser water pump access.
box cut battery box installed battery box installed
We had a lighting strike on or near our dock and I found some damage onboard.  Equipment fuses appeared to have taken the hits.  I had no idea there was a fuse outside the control pannel. Upon research I found this fuse is a High Rupture or Breaking Capacity type fuse.   It’s marked as L350-75. 

The fuse was spliced into the Perkins’s 4-108 diesel harness.  It ran from Hood 38 MK II’s fuse panel’s negative bus to the fuse and then to the 12 volt battery’s negative ground.  I found replacement fuses on Ebay. I now have a few extra.
line fuse